Monday, March 16, 2009

Peggle DS (Flavor's Random Pick)

PopCap Games' Peggle has finally made its way to a proper hand-held gaming platform. Q Entertainment is to thank for developing the Nintendo DS version of Peggle, and if their name doesn't ring a bell for you, think of Meteos, Lumines, and Rez HD. So here we have one of the most addictive games around brought to the DS by the developer of some of the best hand-held puzzle games around.

To me, this is the type of game that really should be on the DS and/or PSP. PopCap Games has made a good living out of bringing casual games like this to a wide audience on the PC, but, to me, this is the sort of thing that just feels at home on the go. I think that's the first time I've purposely worked an oxymoron into one of my posts.

I've played Peggle on the PC, and it is a very well made, fun, and addictive title. I was a bit skeptical, though, how well it would translate to the small, mouseless, dual-screened handheld of mine, so I took it for a bit of a test drive this past weekend. I have to say that I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, I don't think I'll be playing Peggle on the PC, anymore. If you've read any of my posts, you can probably tell that I've got a thing for the DS, PSP, or any other handheld games. If a game is just as fun on both platforms, I'd rather put it in my pocket (or backpack as it may be).

To me, Peggle DS has all the fun of the original. There really is only one screen of gameplay, because the other is mostly just used for status information like how many balls you have left. Of course, that means that you can't get the same level of graphics as you would on the PC version. The lack of a mouse is a minor drawback. On the PC it's very natural to use the mouse. On the DS, you can use the stylus to control the game (and even zoom in to make tight shots). Personally, I didn't feel like I needed the stylus control. I used it for a while, and then I got good at using the d-pad and shoulder buttons.

If you don't know what Peggle is, then, first of all, I'm surprised you read this far into my article. Second, you need to check this game out. As you might have guessed, I'd recommend the Nintendo DS version. If you're not yet convinced, check out a review at IGN. If demos are you thing, you can find a free trial of the PC version at PopCap Games' website.

If you already know what Peggle is, then you should already know if you like it. If you do, then I think you'll like the DS version. If you don't, I don't expect that you would find anything new to excite you about the DS version. It's as easy as that. Go pick it up. You know you didn't need all those extra hours of your life, anyway.

No comments: